'A number of scenarios expected to work without internet.'
According to an internal Microsoft memo obtained by Ars Technica, the next-gen Xbox won't require an always-on internet connection for many functions, including games...
According to an allegedly leaked internal Microsoft memo emailed to "full-time employees" working on the next-generation Xbox, the upcoming console will NOT require an always-on internet connection for many of its functions, including "single-player gaming", or when "playing a Blu-ray disc"...
The memo, obtained by Ars Technica, says the following:
"Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet."
It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."
If true, the memo also backs up the rumour that the new console will be capable of receiving (via a HDMI input) and relaying a TV video feed with its own UI and functionality layered over that of your existing set-top box...
The next-generation XBOX will be revealed at a special event on May 21. Stay tuned!
The MATRIX team has just released CRYPTOCOP addon for FREEDOM LITE PCBoard
Now all Xbox 360 console owners with LITE-ON DG16D5S and HITACHI DLN10N 0500/0502 drives can enjoy the freedom of using 'backups' thanks to the new FREEDOM 1175 from the InfinityMod (Matrix Team)
It been a long time coming, but now Team Matrix has offically announced the new FREEDOM 1175 device, which is basically their FREEDOM LITE PCB with the CRYPTOCOP addon, now you can safely and quickly unlock those tough to crack LITEON and HITACHI drives that are found in the more recent Microsoft Xbox 360 consoles, so you can enjoy the freedom of playing your 'backup' discs.
Here is the official PR regarding it from InfinityMod:
FREEDOM 1175, THE FREEDOM LITE PCB + CRYPTOCOP ADDON
THE LITE-ON DG16D5S AND HITACHI DLN10N 0500/0502* SOLUTION FROM THE MATRIX TEAM
This solution provides the option to run DVD backups of your owned games. You’ll able to play all your backups (XGD1, XGD2, XGD3 Xbox and Xbox 360 DVD formats) even on Live – at your own risk.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
A NAND dump of a console with one matching drive (Lite-ON DG16D5S or Hitachi DLN10N 0500/0502*);
The CPU KEY of the console above;
One Matrix Freedom 1175 board.
One Matrix Freedom USB Programmer with CryptoCop Add-On
Matrix Freedom USB Programmer
Matrix Freedom D5S Manager Software
Simply swap your original 16D5S board with the FREEDOM 1175, connect the FREEDOM 1175 with the FREEDOM USB programmer, launch the Matrix Freedom Software and in one minute your exchange PCB will be ready to use!
Please visit our website for additional tutorial, diagrams and all the related software.
Recently, an updated version of the Atari Jaguar Emulator has been released for the Original Xbox Console by 'scene' developer 'hcf' on the Xbox-Scene forums.
Here is part of the v0.98 changelog:
Changes in the emulator core
1) Full-screen playing, even in HD modes: Now you can play at full-screen, both with 480, 720p or 1080i. This has been achieved by replacing all the SDL code related to video, with Xbox native Direct3D code.
2) Noticeable speed improvement: Besides the full-screen support, the native Direct3D code also brang a speed improvement. This makes that some games that were hardly playable in the last version, can be played in this one at good speed (for example Kasumi Ninja or Zool 2). Besides, many games that need overclocked sound/GPU, will have better sound and less graphical glitches now, because the overclocking factor now is much lower.
3) Improved compatibility: There are new playable games that didn't work (or were unplayable) in previous versions, like Soccer Kid, Protector Special Edition, Zero 5, Worms, Evolution - Dino Dudes, Kasumi Ninja...
4) Better savegame management: In the past versions, there was an annoying bug that caused that, if you didn't exit from the game in a proper way (START+BACK) you lost all the saved games related to that rom!! This bug has been fixed with a better savegame management. Now, if you exit bad, you will only loose the current game, but all the previous saved progress will be kept. So, you will never loose your saved games again (time to beat Rayman now?).
Changes in the GUI
1) Now you can have a lot of games in your "roms" folder (the previous version had a bug when you had more than 50-60 roms). And these roms can have moderately long names if you want. Anyways, remember that the files must have a "normal" name if you want that the emulator is able to recommend the best settings for that game. For example, if you have the game Rayman you can name it like "Rayman.zip" or "Rayman (Ubisoft).j64" or whatever you want that begins with "Raym"... but don't rename it like "My favorite game.zip", because the emulator will not know that it is Rayman!
2) Preliminary screenshots support. The emulator search for screenshots with the same name of the rom (but extension "jpg") in the "media/artwork/action" folder (like in the Xtras) and if it exists, it will show it when the game is selected in the menu. This package contains some screenshots of some of the most famous games, but you must rename your roms like them if you want them to work. For example, if the screenshot is "Kasumi Ninja.jpg", rename your rom as "Kasumi Ninja.zip".
3) Background music
4) Better joystick management
For More Info, Please see the full XS forum thread linked below!
Microsoft has been caught registering the xboxfusion.com domain which may be a hint of the next console's official name
It seems that microsoft has registered (yet again) another domain that suggests a possible name for the next generation console. This time, it is xboxfusion.com that now is part of the already registered buch with xboxgold.com and xboxnext.com.
Fusible explained it better in this extract:
If Microsoft has learned anything from its previous mistakes with launching a product without the matching domains — then it’s quite possible that the company’s next generation console will be called the “Xbox Fusion”.
Microsoft owns the name in a variety of different extensions and it has for years.
Speculation about the name being called “Xbox Fusion” isn’t anything new. But what separates “Xbox Fusion” and only a few other names from the rest of the list, is that not only does Microsoft own the dot-com (WHOIS), it owns a slew of other domains like XboxFusion.info, XboxFusion.biz, XboxFusion.de, XboxFusion.co.uk – the list goes on and on.
Speculation of the next gen console’s name has gone wild, fueled lately by the recent leak on Reddit of what may be the logo.
Names being kicked around include the Xbox 720, Xbox Infinity, Xbox Infinite, Xbox Gold, Xbox 8, Xbox Durango, Xbox Next, and more.
- R-JTAG comes in two flavors - a starter kit and an ultimate kit with all the bells and whistles
- The first release will support Zephyr, Opus, Falcon, jasper
- There will be a Xenon only version
- Boot speeds are similar to JTAG and RGH1 (from instaboot to 10 seconds)
- Full POST Monitoring with RATER and JRP v2
- Dual Nand works fantastic with the DemoN - especially for Stock / Hacked Nand setups
- No more need for RGH1/RGH2
- Works on the very latest dash/kernel versions
- Solid, reliable booting